Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Summer - Week #4 - Part 1

We originally planned to drive to Massachusetts on Saturday morning, but Nick and I did some math and decided to try to hammer out the drive on Friday evening.  The biggest X factor... Grant!  He did fairly well driving back/forth from the lake earlier in the month, but he was definitely a little out of it due to his teething, so we were definitely not sure what to expect.  We were hoping that leaving in the evening would equal bedtime/sleep for him.

Overall, he did pretty well.  We picked him up from school around 4:30 and he promptly passed out for about an hour or so.  Unfortunately, we hit traffic around Baltimore during the evening rush, but we chugged along and kept making progress.  Since I was driving, Nick climbed into the back and Grant was pretty easily entertained through the rest of Maryland, into Delaware and New Jersey.  He was ready for bed as we entered central New Jersey, so he complained for a bit and Nick fed him everything in the diaper bag, tried the iPad, and did his best to keep him quiet (while I drove through a total deluge!).  He finally passed out and we made it to the NY/CT border before we stopped to change drivers.  We made Georgia hand over her iPad to try to get some sleep and I stayed in the back for the rest of the drive.  CT had construction, so we went some crazy ways to avoid traffic (thank you, Waze) and then we entered MA.  Oh, Massachusetts.  At 11:45pm, we came to a screeching halt as they repaved half of the state.  By 1am, we hit every red light in Lowell and Grant was wide awake and ready to party!!  But, we made it safely and everyone survived the ride.  Thankfully, we handed kids over to Mimi and slept in the next morning.

The next morning, Georgia discovered my old Barbie collection!

And Grant discovered Mimi's banana bread... and never stopped eating!

Our first day at home, we walked up the street to introduce Grant to the neighborhood cows at Shaw Farm.


Auntie Lisa stopped by and we may have invented a new driveway game that lasted... well, much longer than it should have!

Everyone got involved in our target shooting game, even Papa!

Our agenda for our week in MA was non-stop... starting with Grant's baptism the next morning.  Stay tuned for that wrap-up (the best news --- there is no video of his non-stop screaming).

No comments: