Friday, July 7, 2017

Summer - Week #2

Week #2 recap...

After a whirlwind week #1 that included blueberry picking, sweet cherry picking, the pool, a haircut for Georgia, mani/pedi's for Georgia and myself, a new toy car for Grant, and a Nationals game, it was time to move onto week #2 of summer.

First up on the agenda... Mommy fun!  A few months back (on a drunken evening organized by our husbands), a crew of us bought tickets to the "Total Package Tour" (also known as the New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men, and Paula Abdul concert).  Unfortunately, one Mom had to drop out at the last minute due to sick kids and another bailed to head out on a trip with her hubby, but the rest of us powered through to enjoy a night of drinks, good food, and ABS!  Yes, abs.  I'm pretty such the New Kids portion of the concert turned into a mini "Magic Mike" review.



I really felt quite bad for any men in the audience who were dragged there by wives and/or girlfriends.  I woke up on Monday morning still hearing the screeching and screaming inside my head!


On Monday, I also decided that Grant's hockey mullet needed to go before we left town the following week, before his baptism and before we were able to give him a ponytail!  So, off we went for baby's 1st haircut to The Yellow Balloon.  He did so much better than I anticipated.  No tears and he stayed fairly still the whole time.  The hairdresser was amazingly quick and I was shocked at how much hair actually needed to come off, especially on the sides!  They gave us some clippings and he got a cute little certificate for his 1st haircut.  

Looking a little nervous OR just watching his sister dance around the store



I'm thinking this is going to have to be Nick's department.  He goes every 2 weeks or so for a trim, so he can bring Grant with him.  I'm in charge of Georgia.  So far, she averages 3+ years in between haircuts!

I didn't exactly get a before/after shot, but check out Grant's lovely locks in his 11 month post and then compare it to these quick shots that I snapped at dinner right after his 1st hair cut.  The most improved portion is definitely the ear area.

As always... watching his sister!
Straw fight!

Summer soccer started and the best news is that it's right up the street at school and that with Georgia's choice of outfit, I'll never lose sight of her!


The pink lady!
Each summer, our family totally gets suckered into "American Ninja Warrior."  We record it and then catch up while dinner is cooking or when I need a few minute break from play/pool.  Grant seems to be enjoying the contestants this year...


And he is totally motivated to get over the warped wall... or in his case, Daddy.

And he's over
Seriously, this boy is going to give me a heart attack.  He tries to kill himself multiple times per day.  And he LOVES it!  He giggles uncontrollably whenever he throws himself off a chair/couch/person/object.  It's ridiculous.

Dangling off the love seat and loving every minute of it.  I didn't even take a picture until the 14th or 15th time that he did it!
video

Georgia and I powered through lots of errands mid-week in order to prep for our trip departure on Friday.

On Wednesday, we hit up Brookside Gardens for some morning nature time.  We've always seen pictures of people there and I've heard of schools/classes doing field trips there, but we've never visited.  So, G and I packed ourselves a lunch and headed out to explore!


Georgia's favorite part was definitely the Wings of Fancy butterfly exhibit.  She was lucky enough to have 2 butterflies land on her and I only slightly freaked out when one landed on me (I don't do bugs.  Yes, I count butterflies as bugs!).  

Waiting patiently for a butterfly friend to visit
Butterfly on her shoulder!
Hi little bug friend!
Georgia insisted on snapping a picture of me and my new pal!
My favorite!
This guy's wingspan was the size of my entire arm from shoulder to fingertips and I was more than happy that he stayed attached to that tree the entire time we were in the exhibit (or else, you may have seen me on the nightly news or at least a good bloopers edition of some show fleeing the butterfly exhibit in fear!).


My favorite parts of the park were the gardens.  The landscaping, the fountains and ponds were all beautiful.






We spent a few hours just walking around and exploring the grounds.  Georgia could have spent all day at the big pond counting turtles!





The last thing we did before heading home was the labyrinth.  Georgia loves mazes, so this life-size one was so cool to her.



On Thursday, we hit up the splash park with a bunch of my co-workers and all of our kids.

1st people into the park!


The kids all had a blast and it was nice to check in with all my co-workers to catch up and hear the latest work-related news/gossip of the week. 

Snack break!
Georgia made a new BFF with one of my 2nd grade teacher's daughters
My summer girl!
AND to round out the week, an important delivery arrived just in time to make the trip north to NY!

Adult popsicles!
For only being 2 weeks into summer, Georgia and I are doing pretty well on her to-do list...





No comments: