Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Back to the Grind...

I've been back to work for just over a week now.  The goods new about going back the week of Thanksgiving is that you only have to put in 2.5 days!  The bad news is that I sort of feel like that greyhound chasing the fuzzy rabbit at the dog track.  I just never seem to be able to get caught up on everything these days.  I feel like we run from one event to another like crazy people and just barely make it through the days.  

To say that it was a crazy week was a tad bit of an understatement.  Grant started daycare.  Georgia had an allergic reaction to something... most likely amoxicillin.  Mimi joined us in Maryland for Thanksgiving.  We ate.  We black Friday shopped.  Nick and I went away for the night.  Like I said, crazy week!  

I made it through my first day back to work with little drama.  It was all a blur of new faces, paperwork, and trying to re-organize my office and figure out where everything stood.  My teammates are amazing and fun and made me laugh all day long.  I've definitely missed them.

Yes, they brought me donuts and even dressed up in a donut costume!

I got home feeling like a conquering hero.  I managed to collect both kids and get us all home in about an hour.  It took another 10 minutes to schlep all the bags into the house - my work bag, my purse, my lunch bag, my pumping bag, Georgia's backpack, Grant's daycare bag, etc.  It took another hour to re-pack them all for the following day.  Onto dinner...

By the time Nick got home, we noticed that Georgia's hands were super red and that she was itching away at them.  Mimi arrived from the airport and Georgia went upstairs to shower.  We gave her some Benadryl not being quite sure as to what was going on.  By Tuesday morning, she was covered in giant hives from head to toe and itching away like crazy.  

1 day at work.  That's all it took.  1 day at work.  I had been home for 5 freaking months without issues.  1 day at work and all hell breaks out.

Nick scrambled to get Georgia to the pediatrician's office on Tuesday morning so they could put eyes on her while I headed to work with immense Mommy guilt that I couldn't be with my child.  I may have punched a granite countertop.  The pediatrician took one look at her and decided she must have had a reaction to the amoxicillin that she had been on the week prior for strep throat.  We were sent home with instructions to keep her on the benadryl and that her skin might appear splotchy and patchy for weeks.  Weeks?!?!?  The poor kid was miserable just clawing at her skin.  Luckily, Mimi was in town so Georgia stayed home with her for the day so that Nick and I could work.

Napping at home on Tuesday

I kept taking pictures of the poor kid to track the hives and splotches as they migrated around her face

Did I mention that Grant also happened to turn 4 months old during all that chaos?!!  Could he get any cuter?????

That afternoon, it was my turn to head to the pediatrician's office so that Grant could get his 4 month vaccines and get checked over for his well visit.  You know it's a good day when you get to go to the pediatrician's office twice within 10 hours!  However, Grant was in and out without any drama.  They were quite impressed with our little chunky monkey!

His stats...
Weight - 15lbs, 8oz (up from 12lbs, 5oz at his 2 month appt)
Height - 24.75 inches (up from 22.5 inches at his 2 month appt)

On Wednesday, Georgia and I both had a half day of school.  She was still covered in hives from head to toe, but I wanted her teachers to see what was going on, especially since I'm not sure how serious they've been taking our allergy concerns.  Luckily, it was also Grandparents Day, so Mimi went off to school with her for the morning as her chaperone (and I probably would have kept her home for another day if Mimi couldn't attend kindergarten with her that morning).

Mimi and G at kindergarten

I've never been so relieved for 2.5 days of work to be over.

Georgia's reaction carried into Thanksgiving Day, but her skin started to clear dramatically.  We kept her on the Benadryl and a prescription antacid to help calm her system, but the itching seemed to really diminish from the previous days.

Thanksgiving morning was filled with parade watching and browsing through the flyers to plan out our black Friday morning shenanigans!  We didn't head over to Nick's aunt and uncle's house until later in the afternoon.  The hours there seemed to fly by as Grant refused to nap and Nick and I took turns bouncing in and out of dinner to check on him.

Our favorite Mo-vember participants

Looking much better on Thursday!

Grant's 1st Thanksgiving

Nick's parents also traveled to Maryland to the holiday, so we got to spend some time with them too.

Grandpa and Grant

Mimi and I were up at the crack of dawn on Friday morning for our annual shopping spree.  For the past 5+ years, I've done the trip solo, but it was nice to have some company this year.

A little early morning snack to keep us going!

Meanwhile, Nick took the kids to visit with his parents and to do some post-Thanksgiving swimming...

Friday evening was all about getting the house decorated and primed for Christmas.  The tree went up and Georgia was so excited to take out each and every ornament to talk about it before it went on the tree.  I put up my "Let It Snow" sign and am keeping my fingers crossed for a rough winter.  The year I had Georgia, I didn't get a single delayed opening or snow day!

Nick spent Saturday morning prepping the Christmas lights outdoors while Mimi and I played nurse to Georgia again.  Both her and Grant developed a case of the sniffles.  Georgia was fairly lethargic, which was concerning because it was hard to determine whether everything was related to the allergic reaction or if it was something entirely different.  It's so frustrating (and scary) to never know what's happening with her body.

Even better, Nick and I had plans to spend the night at National Harbor.  Slightly concerning, but we left her (and the epi-pens) in Mimi's hands and Nick and I checked in via our webcams throughout the evening.

Not too shabby a view from our room on the 17th floor

We enjoyed massages, dinner, and a relaxing night bar-hopping around the hotel.  For the first time in 4 months, we slept without a baby monitor next to our heads.  

All decorated for Christmas

By lunchtime on Sunday, we were back home with our babies and to finish decorating the house for the holidays.  Mimi headed back to Massachusetts and we prepped for another crazy week of work and school!  Back to the grind...

No comments: