Monday, July 11, 2016

Big Girl Room...

Back in March, we started the inevitable discussion of bedrooms and what we were going to do with both Georgia's room and the "red room" (aka - the new baby's room/old guest room).  Bottom line, we needed Georgia's furniture for the nursery since her current bed was the convertible crib.

So, we did what any parents would do... we bribed our child with a new room!

Step #1 - Tell Georgia that she could have a purple bedroom.  To say that she was excited was a massive understatement.  So, off we went to pick up some paint samples.



Shopping for potential paint colors back in March 

Nick and I learned a trick awhile back... instead of painting squares directly onto walls, we paint poster board and then put it on the wall using painter's tape.  We learned our lesson after painting approximately 3,009 squares on Nick's condo walls looking for the perfect green!



A few purple options for G's bedrooom

Before we started doing anything, I took a few pictures so I could remember what my baby girl's bedroom looked like back in the day...








Going further back in time, I still remember putting together Georgia's room before she was even born when we first moved into the house...


Mimi hanging those bright pink curtains while Nick and Grandpa started crib construction after Papa Kevin painted the room Benjamin Moore's Carrington Beige (Date of picture - 4/3/2011)

Baby Georgia wasn't supposed to arrive for another 3+ months.  Little did we know, that she would make her early arrival in just 3 short weeks.

That tree was a labor of love that everyone spent hours working on during move-in week.  Nick swore it was never coming down!

Fast forward five years and the first thing I started working on was taking "Georgia's tree" down...





And immediately, the paint and chunks of drywall started coming off with the tree.  Oooops.  An emergency phone call to my mom/Kevin and some googling tipped me off to use a hair dryer to heat up the glue.  It got slightly easier, but some flowers were just stubborn!  I was fairly amazed at how easily it all came off (I anticipated that I'd be peeling off those flowers for weeks).


So odd to see a naked wall in there!

After some debate, Georgia picked the color Canterbury Bells (by Behr)...






Next, we started looking at comforter sets and decided upon this DESIGN.

Mimi and Papa arrived in June to help with putting the whole project together.



Georgia's last night in her little girl room

I still remember her first night in her big girl bed in that room...





Early the next morning, Papa got started on the painting...







Helping Papa








And then the real fun began... Nick started putting together the furniture that Mimi had bought Georgia for her birthday.  The dressers went together with no problem.






Unfortunately, the headboard was an entirely different story.  Nick discovered that the box contained two left pieces, instead of a left and right.  He called Target and they said that they would have to send us an entire new headboard (instead of just the missing piece).  No problem.  In the meanwhile, Georgia just slept in her new bed without the headboard.




A few days later, the new headboard arrived.  Nick quickly discovered that the advertised full/queen size headboard did not fit either a full or queen sized bed (as we owned both).  Again, more phone calls to Target.  Nevermind the two GIANT boxes in our living room with both headboard sets.

In the end, we decided to return both headboards.  It only took an hour on the phone with Target to get a UPS pick-up for the gigantic boxes, instead of their suggestion that we drive the boxes back to our local Target.  #nothappening

Since we had already put together the dressers and had no interest in returning them, we were forced into buying the entire bed package - the headboard/footboard combination (knowing that the pieces would have to fit).  Meanwhile, I complained to Target on their Facebook page and was actually acknowledged and received a $25 gift card for our troubles.  However, they still have the original headboard for sale as a full/queen size headboard, which is not exactly true (especially when you read all the reviews, which all point out the issue).  I'm fairly certain the entire thing is a sham so that you have to buy the combination headboard/footboard.  Fair warning.



Finally, a working bed!  Of course, Georgia's full sized bed didn't fit this set, so we had to haul the queen sized bed back upstairs.

So, all is well that ends well (after some Target drama).  Georgia loves her new room and I'm thrilled with how the whole project turned out...










Georgia begged for this cupcake map canvas at HomeGoods 

Curtains - Bed, Bath & Beyond
Mirror - HomeGoods








Lastly, Georgia really wanted her "baby" pictures back up!




No comments: