I would love to post the original source for this recipe, but I'm thinking it was from a magazine at least 7-10 years ago based on when Nick and I first started to make it. I can still remember grilling this chicken on the large shared patio we had at the Grosvenor condo, which means at least 6+ years ago. The recipe never gets old and even though you can make it in the oven/broiler, the grill is definitely the place for this recipe!
- 6 slices of bacon (cut in half)
- 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 thin slices of red onion
- 6 thin slices of tomato
- 6 thin slices of avocado
- 6 slices of Monterey Jack cheese (or you could substitute with Pepper Jack)
- Cook the bacon and drain (we typically cook off our bacon in the oven and leftover bacon never lasts too long in our house!)
|Every recipe is better with bacon!|
- Flatten the chicken so that the breast is even (this is KEY for proper stacking)
- In a large plastic bag, mix the olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add the chicken and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Fire up the grill
- Drain and discard the marinade
- Grill the chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side (or until properly cooked)
- While chicken is cooking, slice up the "toppings"
- Move chicken to the edge of the grill
- Top with bacon, onion, tomato, avocado and a slice of cheese
|Stacking up the chicken with red onion and a special "safe" cheese for Georgia's chicken|
|Bacon layer on top of red onion|
|Avocado and tomato layers|
- Cover and grill for 4-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted
On a few occasions, I've made this recipe while my grill master was out of town and I used the oven to cook off the chicken and then used the broiler to melt the cheese on top.
We've made this chicken several times this month already and it pairs awesome with fresh grilled corn too. Tastes like summer in our house!