Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Georgetown Day - Part 2...

Returning to last weekend...

After 7-8 minutes of strenuous ice skating on Georgia's behalf (aka - Nick pushing her while she held onto a penguin for dear life)... we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and stroll around Georgetown for a bit.  







Checking out the Kennedy Center down the Potomac 


Georgetown has some of the most amazing bakeries - Georgetown Cupcake (which always has a line wrapped around the block) and Baked & Wired are two of our favorites.  The bad part - Georgia can't eat the cupcakes and treats because of the risk of peanut contamination.  During the prior week, I put in some time researching other bakeries in the neighborhood knowing that we might take a trip down there that weekend.  I had seen a post about a fairly new bakery in the neighborhood, Dog Tag Bakery, and also heard rumors about it being nut-free.  The only bakery that we've ever just walked into and let Georgia order whatever she wanted was down in Disney, so I wasn't holding my breath quite yet. 

After checking out a fountain or two, we headed up towards the bakery not quite knowing what to expect.  









First off, it was the cutest little shop.  Second, their food looked amazing.  Third, the girl behind the counter fully accepted my 9,398 questions about their ingredients and products (because, like any good nut-free-Mama, I'm expecting there to be a giant BUT in the conversation at some point and I'm going to have to drag my disappointed 4 year old home empty handed!).  The staff were amazing and immediately went back to talk to the chef to get me further information about their ingredients.  The girl even came back with a product name and a sku number written down on a piece of paper for me so that I could further look into the product (and, of course, I immediately googled from my phone!).  





Georgia inhaled a sugar cookie while Nick and I ate sandwiches.  After confirming that everything was nut-free (for the 3rd or 4th time), we allowed Georgia to order several cookies and brownies to go.  I think the girl working there saw the tears in my eyes as I thanked her profusely for her help (aka - holding up to my interrogation tactics).  She came out from behind the counter to hand Georgia the bag of cookies and told her that she sneaked an extra cookie into the bag for her.  Cue the full-on tears behind my sunglasses!  

Georgia finally let Nick and I taste a cookie later that evening and it was amazing.  You absolutely could not tell that it was nut-free.  She cracked open a brownie the following night and I think they were even tastier.

Bottom line... if you're in the DC area and looking for a new bakery to try out, don't want to wait in line at G'town Cupcakes OR need a nut-free experience, please try Dog Tag Bakery.  Their website has lots of interesting information, including about their internship with Georgetown University and their support for the disabled veterans of this country.  As a navy brat, I fully support their causes and as a nut allergy parent, I intend to keep on supporting their store!











1 comment:

melissab said...

I am always so happy to see G get to enjoy the simple things that many of us take for granted. Especially a special treat while spending a fun day exploring with mom and dad!