Monday, June 15, 2015

Thoman Treats - Batch #2

About a week ago, I kicked off a new feature on the blog called Thoman Treats.  I'm hoping to make it a running series with some of our favorite treats that are delicious, as well as safe for Georgia.  Food allergies don't always make baking easy, but we do our best to work around nuts and dairy and still have fun with food!

Since we had roughly 5,081 pounds of strawberries after our trip to the farm, I was left searching Pinterest for a good recipe to use up some of our riper berries.  I stumbled across lots of recipes that were heavy with butter and cream and some that just had way too many steps for me to embark on after a full day of work.  After almost giving up, I decided to mesh a few different recipes together and came up with a Strawberry Cake-Pie.  Yes, that's right, a cake and a pie all in one.  I kept referring to it as a "cake" and everyone else in the house referred to it as a "pie."  It's now a cake-pie.

Strawberry Cake-Pie

**Nut-free**
**Not completely dairy-free, since Georgia can tolerate baked dairy, but you could easily substitute the butter and make
this recipe dairy-free too**
**Not egg-free, but the 1 egg could also be easily replaced with a substitute to make the recipe egg-free**

Ingredients:
  • 6 tbsp. of unsalted butter, softened
  • 1.5 cups of flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk ---- I used dairy-free vanilla flavored rice milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped (I had already washed, chopped and frozen our strawberries from the farm, so I used frozen strawberries)
    • You could probably use more or less strawberries - I probably could have thrown in even more
    • I think this recipe would work well with other fruit too - I'm already planning to try it with blueberries in a few weeks after we pick those at the farm



Our frozen little delights


Directions:

  • Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt
  • Using an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar until creamy (about 90 seconds - 2 minutes with my KitchenAid mixer)
  • Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix until everything is combined


I may have stolen a lick of two of the batter!


  • Carefully add in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine until well-blended
  • Gently fold in your strawberries (or other fruit) to the batter






  • Butter/Spray a 8x8 glass casserole dish and dump mixture inside dish



  • I almost sprinkled a little extra sugar on top for some crunch factor - next time, I'll be sure to sprinkle a teaspoon or two on top
  • Bake for 10 minutes in the 350 degree oven, before turning the oven down to 325 and cook for an additional 45 minutes or so (I kept an eye on it and pulled it out right before the timer went off since it looked perfectly brown to me!)





The only problem with this recipe... we polished off that small casserole dish in 2-3 days flat!  I may need to double the recipe next time and put it in a 9x11 dish instead of the smaller 8x8. 

This was one of the first times that we've let Georgia have that much butter/dairy in a baked recipe, but since it baked for almost an hour, I was okay with letting her try it.  Total success - no reactions!!



No comments: