Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hello Summer 2015!

It is official... we are on summer break in the Thoman household.  There are 68 days until I have to go back to work and we're hoping to fill those days with lots of fun activities, day trips, vacations, etc.  Georgia will still be going to school on Tuesday/Thursday so that she can maintain her spot in her class, socialize with friends, and participate in her school's summer program (lots of fun in-school field trips, sprinkler days, etc.), but all the other days of the week are free, free, free!

The best part about summer - no alarm clocks!  We can get up whenever we want to rise and shine.  No more harassing my kid and dragging her out of bed every day...




We definitely push bedtime a bit in the summer too.  This weekend, our neighborhood had a movie night at the local school.  Georgia wasn't too into the movie, but she loved running around the playground at night with a friend and I got to chat and hang out with a friend and enjoy a warm and muggy night in the neighborhood too.  At least, Nick enjoyed/watched the movie!!





It's definitely FELT like summer here in MD for weeks.  Last week, it was so hot after one of our last days of school that Georgia and I boycotted going home and instead packed ourselves dinner (sandwiches) and went straight to the pool.  We both swam the afternoon away until Nick called wondering where we were hiding!


UGH!!!!


Sunset swimming in the deep end

We have been BLOWN AWAY by how amazing Georgia has been swimming for only having been in the pool for just a few weeks.  Her and her little friends are really starting to get the hang of it.  Nick has been earning major brownie points by constantly swimming around with her and giving out "swimming lessons" in the deep end.  It's amazing the difference between last year and this year.


G and her BFF swimming this weekend


Before school finished for the summer, all our amazing readers headed outside to see how many books the entire school had read during the 2014-2015 school year.  Drum roll.. 37,000+.  Throughout the school year, students added a "link" to their classroom chain and wrote the name of the book they read on the paper.  With them all connected, they easily wrapped around our outdoor fields and then later around the entire school.  WOW!!  I took some video of the craziness...





A few local news/media outlets picked up the story and a few days later, I even spotted my backside in the newspaper.  Can you find me (hint - all the teachers were in our official red t-shirt from this school year)?!?!




On Tuesday morning, Georgia and I both headed off to our final day of school/work.  I grabbed a quick photo of her so I could compare the beginning of the year with the last day...





After turning in my office keys on Tuesday, I kicked off summer by relaxing for a few hours and prepping the house for our weekly "Bachelorette" watch since I was hosting this week.  I lasted for almost 5 hours before I hit Staples for a new planner for next year (I'm blaming my Type A teammates who bought their calendars weeks ago!!)...



You know you are a Type A educator when you get excited about a pretty new BLANK calendar!
 
 
Summer also blessed us with our first tomato and even a handful of sugar snap peas from all the plants that we potted in the spring...





Another little someone is quite happy to have some company during the summer...




Off to create some wonderful memories during the summer of 2015...





No comments: