Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Family Cave - Part 3

If you missed any of the previous posts, check here for part 1 and here for part 2.

This is the point in the project where Nick gets to take a step back, kick up his feet and enjoy the fruits of his labor.  However, reality usually just sends him to work the next day!  Luckily for us, our project got an extra day thanks to some unexpected snow in the DC region.  So, he truly got a day to just sit back and relax after a non-stop weekend.  And I got to start my favorite part... how to decorate the new area!!

The first step was to drag back the alphabet/number mat to the area.  Georgia was more than "helpful" (and by helpful, I mean, doubling the amount of time it should take to complete a task).  





It really is a tease to let your kid see the finished project, but then send her right to bed!  Sorry, kiddo!


Who me?!?!


My first executive decision was that the curtains we had hanging for the past several years had to go since I had plans for that wall with the window on it and they were getting in the way.  

I sent Nick upstairs to grab the play kitchen that had been living in Georgia's bedroom for the past year.  It found a new home under the window.  We grabbed more and more stuff and started filling up the area...






Since we love the light we get from the window, I found some new valances from Bed, Bath & Beyond that were more appropriate for the area.  That way, we could still have a curtain framing the window, but the length didn't get in the way of the play area.





The shelf provided endless opportunities, as well as a chance to change things out every now and again.  To start...


The Twinkle Twinkle canvas was a find during a Home Goods trip a few weeks before the project started.  The framed Georgia print was a gift from Mimi about a year ago that needed a new home.


After a few days of allowing everything to dry and set, we tested out the magnetic capabilities of the new wall...


You can clearly see Nick's complaints about the smoothness of the wall in this picture.  Hence, our next project will also include a step for sanding first.


Thankfully, one of us actually reads the directions on the paint can because I completely missed the part about conditioning the chalkboard wall.  Nick went missing one night for awhile and I found him downstairs rubbing chalk all over the place.  I figured he was just playing, but apparently it was also a necessary step.

We brainstormed for awhile about where to keep the chalk and we hadn't come up with any grand plan yet when I happened to walk by the $1 area of Target and spotted some cute little tin buckets.  Nick installed them next to each of the boards using a simple hook...






Georgia finally got a chance to play once the walls were conditioned.  

Please note that it was Dr. Seuss week at daycare and my child doesn't always dress like a 70's flower hippie on an acid trip!  We took quite literally the mismatch theme of the day.











So far, she seems to really like the chalkboard area.  Daddy seems to like it too.  In case you missed this picture from a few weekends ago, Olaf has now graced the wall...





This week, we added some new storage, which was essential to the whole plan of reclaiming our living room for the Toys-R-Us explosion that seems to have occurred over the past year.






Overall, we're starting to make some progress...





1 comment:

Iva Dumas said...

I love you playroom area. Fun and safe for toddlers.