Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch Changes - Part 1

One advantage/disadvantage to spending the summer at home is that you spend a lot of time staring at spaces within your home wondering if you're using the area to the best of its capabilities.  I always find some little project to work on during those blessed nap time hours in the afternoon.  Earlier in the summer, I spent some time redecorating portions of our master bedroom and adding some storage to our powder room (ahem, having Nick add storage to the powder room).  

Every time that I'm down in the "man-cave"/"princess cave," I'm always thinking about what we could do down there for our next project.  Last June, Papa Kevin, spent almost an entire week painting the basement a great blue color, which added a ton of warmth to the room.  It went from builder beige blah to actually feeling like an inviting space.  One of the issues we have with using all the space down there is that it is just one big rectangle.  It might be easier to divide the spaces up if there were nooks or corners, but it's really just one big box.  

Lately, Georgia's toys have been spreading and multiplying throughout the house.  Just when I think she's ready to toss a baby/infant toy, it becomes a favorite again and comes back into the play rotation.  With our recent trip to Massachusetts, aka - Christmas in August, our toy chest officially exploded all over our living room upstairs.  I just couldn't take it anymore!

Georgia has always had a small corner in the basement to call her own, but the area never really impressed me and it was something that just happened to come together because we started throwing some toys down there to entertain her while we were downstairs.  So, during nap time a few weeks ago, I started moving some things around and came up with a new idea!  Nick was at work, so he didn't really give me an approval for the idea, but I went with it.  I was so excited about my idea that I didn't even take before photos, but you can get a sense of the area pre-move in the link above to Kevin's painting.

My general idea was to remove the table/chairs that we never used and implement "Team Princess Cave Corner."  In my mind, total success!!






Georgia's new play area







Before the re-arrangement of toys and furniture, the majority of Georgia's basement toys just hung out in the vicinity between the couch and the back wall.  With this new arrangement, she gets an entire corner all to herself.



The pre-move area that Georgia's toys were scattered about was in an odd area


The true test was showing the new area to Miss G...




Within seconds, she made herself at home





















video




The rest of the basement is still a work in progress.  We had previously decided to use the space to display our dive photos and since it was painted blue, it took on a nautical theme.  Since then, I've picked up different pieces that fit the space or that I think would fit well down there.  Eventually, we hope to replace most of the furniture, since the majority are old pieces from Ikea from my first apartment.  The rough-in for the bar is also waiting for future construction once we figure out what we want to do against that wall.



Our dive wall, which now resides above Georgia's play area




The treadmill occupies another corner of the basement.  I just recently found a print from Homegoods for this area.




The irony of "Relax" behind the treadmill is not lost on me!




Our sofa table got a few new additions, including a new frame and candle holder




I found these great pillows while watching the Today Show from my hospital bed earlier this summer!  




These prints from Bed, Bath & Beyond were an early summer purchase


The best part about the new basement play area is that some of the toy clutter from upstairs has migrated downstairs, especially in terms of books and stuffed animals.  Our living room has been reclaimed!!




It's an August miracle - the toy box almost closes!!!




I can now walk across the floor without tripping over toys.  Wahoo!!




The book area actually looks organized.  Yes, it lasted one day looking neat and tidy!


Once that project was complete, I was on a roll.  Stay tuned for a few other small changes that have made a huge difference in our house!




No comments: