Tuesday, May 28, 2013

NOLA - Part 1

We'll be taking a "Georgia break" for a few days as I recap Nick and I's fabulous weekend in one of my most favorite cities in the entire world - New Orleans!!!  I hatched the plot to kidnap Nick for his 35th birthday a few months ago.  Thankfully, Mimi and Papa swept into town to babysit the peanut for the weekend so that we could escape for an adults-only weekend in the Big Easy!!  I gave Nick clues for the 10 days leading up to our departure, but I refused to tell him where we would be going for the weekend.  On Saturday morning, we woke up at the crack of dawn and headed to BWI... with Nick having no idea where we would be going that morning.  After we got through security, I declared our destination!!  

The most ironic part of the entire destination... Nick had never been to New Orleans, which is the reason I selected that city for our visit.  However, just last week, Nick text me from work and asked what I would be doing the first week of June.  Ummm... working?!?  Come to find out, he was going to a conference... in New Orleans!  So, I got to take him first, but the man is already planning his return to NOLA just next week.

We landed in New Orleans, checked into our hotel and immediately decided to hit up the city!  Our hotel was only one block from Bourbon Street/Canal Street, so we headed down Bourbon and grabbed our first hurricane at Pat O'Briens!  Just walking down Bourbon Street is always a sight, even on a Saturday morning...








On our to-do list for the weekend was to hit up Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar - rumored to be the oldest structure to be used as a bar in the United States.  Since I found myself empty-handed, I immediately needed to restock with another hurricane!  Nick decided to try out some of the local beer and we just sat and relaxed for awhile watching the people come/go and stumble down Bourbon Street.  That's what NOLA is all about - just chilling, people watching, and enjoying good drinks!











Trying out the local beer!





Delish!!  Noon... and already two hurricanes in!





Hurricanes go down smooooooooth!




Hanging out at Lafitte's


We decided we needed some actual food after a few drinks, so we headed to the next place on our to-do list, Central Grocery.  Apparently I'd been there previously as a kid with my family, but I didn't quite remember the place (and apparently, I didn't like the sandwiches back in the day).  However, this time was a different story!  I had read so many great reviews of the amazing muffalattas at Central Grocery, so Nick and I waited in line patiently and headed to the riverbank to sit alongside the Mississippi and enjoy our sandwich.  There's only one item on the menu and it did not disappoint.  The muffalatta was absolutely amazing!




Waiting in line with everyone else waiting to get a sandwich!




Sitting alongside the Mississippi




Our scenic view from our lunch spot



After lunch, Nick got brave and decided to put his toes in the mighty Mississippi...

















Jackson Square is one of the most beautiful areas of the city and I loved getting to share the sights with Nick, especially with the beautiful St. Louis Cathedral in the background...


















Wow - what a crazy morning!  And that was just the start of our New Orleans adventures.  Coming up... we eat more, drink more and then eat some more!





No comments: