Sunday, May 1, 2011

"She has a mind of her own!"

It's always nice to be greeted by the Nurse Practitioner in the NICU and hear the words, "She has a mind of her own!"  Apparently Miss Georgia does not care much for the position that the nurses want her to be in, so she wiggles and wiggles until she gets into the position that SHE finds the most comfortable.  Good girl - show 'em who is boss!

I already snuck in my morning kangaroo time today.  Unfortunately, her bilirubin levels went up a little overnight (aka - she has a bit of jaundice), so she is under the blue lights today.  I have to admit, she looks a little cute with her sleep mask on.  I'm calling it her "tanning bed."  Of course, she's trying to wiggle her way out of that mask too. 

Besides that, she apparently had a good night.  No changes, which is always good news.  I sent Nick home for the night and spent the night alone in the hospital.  I was finally able to get a few hours of sleep in between my pumping sessions. 

I finally got to meet with the lactation consultant and got a crash course in pumping and storing milk for a preemie in the NICU.  They're sending me home with an industrial hospital pump.  We're still awaiting the arrival of the pump my mom bought me.  However, that was wrapped up and waiting for my baby shower in Massachusetts so Aunt Elaine put it in the mail this weekend.  We're doing our best to coordinate what we will need with me going home, but with Georgia still in the hospital.  So, another trip to Buy Buy Baby with a long list of needed supplies is in the works for my Mom today. 

Things are still up in the air with Children's.  We don't know if that transport is going to happen today or tomorrow.  Frankly, the longer she is here with me in the building, I'm completely fine with it.  It looks like I will be discharged some time tomorrow (Monday).  I'm sure adjusting to home will be a challenge.  Getting around is still a bit tricky, so I can only imagine how stairs are going impact my recovery.  If anyone has any advice/tips, please feel free to pass them along.  The best thing I read was to use a spare bed sheet and tie it to the headboard to help pull yourself out of bed.  The doctor said my incision is healing nicely and that I will need to go to the office at the end of the week to have my staples removed.  I just need to stop picturing a gigantic staple remover in my head!!!!

Waiting for Nick to arrive so we can go for another visit down in the NICU and let him have some 'roo time with her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only is this blog going to be a great memory keeper for you all, but on a totally selfish note, it is the first thing I look at when I turn on my computer. Thanks for keeping us all updated. I love to read about it all. Know that you have lots of people pulling for all three of you! Enjoy heading home tomorrow.
Liisa

Sherrie Feffer-Thoman said...

ditto, your blog is a priority for me. I need to see how my sis/bro/niece are doing!

I love that she has a mind of her own. Get it out now....not when you are a tween! :) but i have a feeling....haha

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Have Nick bring up everything you might need so that you aren't doing stairs. Seriously. Aunt Becky

Bruce said...

You might want to have a bed on the main floor for awhile....maybe in the dining room or on the living room couch. Jan

Anonymous said...

Agree with Jan, too. Becky