Saturday, May 14, 2011

Operation: Ninja Poop

Day 15 of the Georgia poop chronicles...

The day did not get off to a great start when I called in for our morning update from the nurse.  Again, I spoke to a nurse who had no idea what was going on.  I finally told her that if she could not answer my questions, then she better put someone on the phone who could.  I'm starting to feel like Children's Hospital owes me a per diem stipend for training their new nurses.  I completely understand that people have to start somewhere, but perhaps the NICU is not the best place for that training.  When I ask what her bili levels are, I don't want to hear "lower."  I would like the exact level.  When you tell me they may change her tube and I ask why, I expect a rationale statement and not "I'm not sure."  I've now taught two nurses how to properly open and close an isolette, as well as other tricks with how to operate equipment in the room.  I feel like I'm running an orientation program there. 

So I gave Nick the day off to stay home and "play" in the man cave.  The poor guy hasn't had a day off from being in a hospital since I was admitted more than a month ago.  So, I conquered the hospital all by myself today.  If I had known ahead of time how the day would start, I wouldn't have let him stay home!

When I arrived, I met our new nurse who was training with a veteran nurse that we've had previously.  I was told that respiratory had been down and gave Georgia a new nickname - "Ninja."  Totally appropriate.


Baby Ninja chilling under her lights


Ninja legs

I was also told that the surgeons once again ordered her drain tube removed from her mouth.  They wanted to force the issue with getting her bowels to start moving.  They took a tummy x-ray in the morning and it looked "beautiful" meaning there were no blockages in her tummy.  Basically, she's got no excuse for why she hasn't pooped yet!  They figure she is just bound up and needs a little help.

The nurses went to lunch shortly after that.  Typically, they hand their phone off to another staff member while they are out of the unit.  Not sure what happened today, but something obviously went wrong with that policy.  I was alone with Georgia when I noticed that she had started spitting up.  And it was a lot of spit up.  So, of course, she started choking on it, which immediately caused a brady and a desaturation.  The poor baby was so sick.  I stuck my head into the hallway and not a nurse to be found.  So, I got her all cleaned up by myself.  Her bed was a mess.  I did my best to clean that area up without taking her out of the isolette.  About ten minutes later, the exact situation happened again.  I was livid by this point.  Again, I cleaned up my baby.  I suctioned her to make sure there was no other crap in her mouth and did my best to get everything clean.  The nurses walked back in as I finished up for the second time.  They got a piece of my mind.  At least one nurse pointed out that I had every right to be angry.   I'm extremely thankful that I was there during these episodes because I'm not quite sure what would have happened had she been completely alone with no one responding to her alarms while she puked.

After that, Georgia must have felt a lot better because her stats looked great for the remainder of the day.

Since she was spitting up, they paged the nurse practitioner and they agreed to try a suppository to get her bowels moving.  They were able to get some green mucous out, but not much.  I won't go into graphic details, but she was struggling to get out a bunch of very thick and very sticky green stuff.  Hopefully if she can clear that out, everything else will start flowing!  I offered her $5,000 for her college fund if she would poop today.  No luck. 

I got to kangaroo with Georgia for about 90 minutes today.  Her bili levels went down to  the 5ish range, so she was able to stay out a bit longer.  She's so calm and sweet during kangaroo time.  Some people have asked me about the specifics of kangaroo time and the benefits, so here is the info directly from the March of Dimes hand-out:
     It's good for a baby's health because it often can...
          *Keep a baby warm
          *Stabilize a baby's heart rate
          *Help a baby gain weight
          *Reduce discomfort a baby may feel
     It's good for moms and dads, too, because...
          *It can help them bond with their baby
          *Holding her baby may increase a mom's milk supply and helps her and her baby
          prepare for breastfeeding
          *It can reduce stress and lift spirits
          *It may help them become more confident parents
          *Parents are a vital part of their baby's care

I left after her 8pm care check-in.  Still no poop!  :( 






2 comments:

Sherrie Feffer-Thoman said...

Come on Georgia....5k is a good bribe.

Momma to the rescue. Jenn, that's crazy that no nurses were to be found. I would have ripped them a new one too.

Praying for poop....

Anonymous said...

Jenn -- Never a dull moment!!! Glad you were there -- I can only imagine the look you gave those ladies when they came back -- We will continue to pray for poop!!

Cathi