Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mission Poop Continues

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would hope and pray for poop every minute of every day of my life, but that is what it has come to at this point.  On Monday, it will be 3 weeks since Georgia's surgery.  The original timeframe given to us by the surgeons was that it would take 1-3 weeks for her bowels to get moving.  I feel like we're running out of time.  Every nurse and every doctor says that it will eventually happen, but at this point it just feels like it is never going to happen.  I'm not sure if days like today make it better or worse...

Today was my mom's last day in Maryland before having to return to Massachusetts for a few weeks.  We gave Nick the day "off," meaning I left him with a very long list of things to do around the house.  We're trying our best to split the weekends and each take a day at the hospital, while the other person gets the day to run errands and do the things they need to do.  Tomorrow will be my first day off since this whole adventure began nearly 6 weeks ago.  As much as I'm looking forward to it, I know that I will desperately miss being with Georgia.  I wouldn't be surprised if I have to talk myself out of a quick trip down to DC to see her.

The great news from the day was that Georgia got the day off the bili lights because her level went down to the 5 range.  Again, since she is not pooping, that level will continue to go up when she is not on the lights.  But, it's so nice to see her off the mask and peaceful in her isolette.  It also means she gets to spend a lot of time being held and loved.  She instantly goes right to sleep when being held. 





Georgia has also recently discovered her love for the pacifier.  Typically we use it to soothe her when she is laying on me during kangaroo time and is rooting around and getting upset that she is not allowed to eat.  Today, I used it to soothe her in the isolette.  I think she got a little spoiled by being allowed to come out and be held for 3+ hours, so she was not happy to be back in her little bed all by herself.  It took over two hours for her to finally calm down and chill out enough to get back to sleep.

Wide awake!  Jazz hands...

Always kicking


Trying to help me hold her pacifier


Someone should be sleeping!


video



Finally figured out a way for her to hold it all by herself!

During both the 12pm and 4pm care times, the nurse noticed some brown streaking residue in Georgia's diaper.  Let's just call it what it is - "skid marks!"  We're all hoping it's the start of something great in the next day or two.  It's so hard to not get our hopes up that it might be a sign of things to come.  The nurses have been suctioning off lots of air from her drain the past few days, but it's hard to tell if that is just not a result of her sucking on the pacifier and taking in more air into her belly.  She looks like she is straining and trying to push something around in there.  We can only hope and pray!

1 comment:

Sherrie Feffer-Thoman said...

i love seeing her eyes wide open and looking so alert!!

skid marks....who thought we'd be excited for that? I hope it is a start of something great.

Good luck getting through the day. I'm sure you'll miss Georgia. Yet, I'm sure you need some rest (assuming it's on the agenda).
XO