Friday, April 29, 2011

Introducing Miss Georgia...

Well, it's been an interesting 24 hours around here!  When we last left off, I was being transferred to the labor/delivery unit where I could be monitored continuously.  The plan was that if the baby kept having dips, then I would get immediate surgery. 

We arrived at labor/delivery around 6:30pm last night after saying our goodbyes to the nurses in the HRP unit.  I had some fabulous nurses there who really cared about us and made us feel so much better about everything that was going on.  I will never forget their kindness, generosity, and patience with me over the past 2 1/2 weeks. 

We arrived in labor/delivery and I was put on the monitor right away and of course, she had some early dips.  But she recovered nicely and we settled into life in the new room.  Watching tv was like counting down the hours.  We might it through "American Idol" and then "Grey's Anatomy" and then "Private Practice" and then the evening news and finally Letterman.  At that point, we knew she wouldn't have April 28th as her birthday, but would most likely be born sometime on the 29th.  Interestingly, while watching tv, I started having some contractions.  I had one where I grabbed the bed rails and probably used some interesting language.  Of course, those got the nurse's attention and the threat of coming out immediately if she kept that business up much longer.

Around midnight, she started acting up again and we were given the news that the next dip was it - surgery.  I figured it would happen immediately.  Instead, Baby Girl hung in until around 4am.  I can't say anyone got much sleep.  Nick grabbed a few hours here and there on the couch.  I nodded off for a few minutes here and there and my mom was on sentry duty all night!

The surgeon came in (of course, it was not my doctor - it was someone from another practice) to review info with us.  She checked me out and declared that I was 3cm dialated, so we needed to get the show on the road.  We met briefly with the anethesiologist and signed our consent and then the next thing we were being wheeled into the OR.


Nick ready to go!


Nick had to stay outside at the beginning while they prepped me in the operating room.  By this point, I had a horrible case of the shakes.  The anesthesiologist was wonderful because he managed to get in my spinal while I was shaking frantically.  He kept talking to me until Nick arrived by my side moments later.  I had one mini meltdown because not feeling my legs was completely freaking me out.  Everything felt so rushed at that point.  I felt horrible pressure, pulling, pushing, and basically felt like the doctor was ripping out my insides.  Within just a few minutes, Baby Girl was out.  We had done a lot of reading about preemies in the past few days and we certainly didn't expect her to come out crying, but within a moment or two, she let us know that she arrived and was not happy about it!  I was THRILLED to hear her cry and immediately burst into tears.  We later learned that her Apgar scores were a 7 and a 9.  Everyone agreed that she was already feisty.  They let Nick go over and take a few pictures of her while they cleaned her up and weighed her.  She came in at 3 lbs 3 oz at 29 weeks and 6 days gestation. 


Georgia Grace Thoman


Her hat is a tad too big!


I think the next part was the part of the surgery that just seemed to drag on forever.  They finished whatever they were doing to me, but it felt atrocious.  The neonatologist wrapped up the baby and brought her over to my head to show me.  At that point, I was so nauseous I was barely processing anything.  She looked so tiny to me.  She must have been in a really interesting position in the womb because she was all scrunched up.  Poor thing.  They whisked her away to the NICU fairly quickly while they finished up working on me.  I never puked, but instead spent the next 20 minutes or so just focused on my breathing.  Nick was amazing - he just kept talking to me the entire time. 

We arrived back in the room just as Kate Middleton was walking down the aisle.  Good timing!  My mom had to wait in the general waiting room for an hour after I arrived back in the room.  As soon as she was allowed back in, Nick took her up to meet her granddaughter and the two of them got to spend a short amount of time with her in the NICU. 


She started off the day on a larger breathing device, but hated it and kept trying to get out of it.  So, she has already been upgraded to a high flow nasal cannula instead.  Good girl!


Mimi meeting her granddaughter for the first time.


Such a proud daddy!

She apparently already sweet-talked her way into a window seat??!

I spent the remainder of the day recovering and trying to catch a quick nap or two.  I haven't gotten anything to eat in 24+ hours, so I'm feeling quite drained, especially with the meds.  My goal is to be up and walking around as soon as the nurses let me try.  One nurse mentioned something about 10pm tonight.  If it means I can get back to the NICU sooner, I plan to be doing laps by 10:01.

My mom is already out buying her a few preemie hats and some receiving blankets so that she can have her own stuff with her in her isolette.  She can also have a stuffed animal with her, so Mom was running home to throw one of her stuffed animals in the wash so she can keep it with her.

The name...
We arrived at the hospital with a few different name options in mind.  Georgia Grace has always been our front runner, but we were hesitant to commit for awhile.  However, before they wheeled me to surgery, Nick and I talked briefly in case they needed to knock me out (truthfully, I had to make sure Nick knew how to spell it!).  I'll explain in a later post how we finally settled on Georgia, but anyone have a guess as to why we selected Georgia???  There are a few of you out there who might be able to put 2 and 2 together on that one.  Think back a few years.  Check back tomorrow for the full scoop!

Around 2pm today, they moved me from the labor/delivery unit to room 4204 in the maternity suites.  Again, we are lucky to have a private room.  On the way up, I was finally able to stop by the NICU and spend a few minutes with my daughter.  She is looking great.  The nurses are impressed with how she is doing.  The word "feisty" might have been used!  They think that Children's is going to come and transport her sometime tomorrow night and she may have the surgery as early as Sunday.  I'm in shock!  I thought they would wait until she was a bit bigger. 


Best feeling in the world - just holding her and talking with her for a few minutes

Not quite a fan of sunlight yet

I got a chance to hold her for a few minutes.  Again, so tiny!  But she was on my chest for awhile and was sucking away on the tube they have running down to her stomach sucking out all the bile that got trapped down there.  She opened up her left eye for a few moments and it was as blue as the ocean.  She's has blonde hair.  I was fairly surprised by how much blonde hair she has.  Her head is already rounding out a bit now that she isn't squished in my belly with no liquid!  The Physical Therapist gave her a donut to help with the rounding.  They were having difficulty getting a central line put in and are still working on that.  But, they said she is quite a fighter already and has quite the personality.  They can already tell what position she must have been in womb-side because she keeps trying to revert to that position.  Interstingly, it's the same position I always sleep in!

Nick is headed down shortly to go cuddle with her and have some "kangaroo time" with his daughter.

We can't begin to thank everyone for all their prayers and well-wishes.  It seems like Part A of this journey is complete and we're moving onto Part B.  Please keep your good thoughts and prayers headed our way, especially for surgery.  Miss Georgia can use all the help she can get right now.  So, please pray for her this weekend.  Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we can get to Part C of this journey and then get her home!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's gorgeous! You are amazing, Jenn. Many hugs and congrats to you and Nick.

- Janet

Anonymous said...

Jenn & Nick

Welcome to baby Georgia. She is beautiful...blond and blue eyed sounds familiar.
Fiesty huh - sound like her Irish is kicking in.
Candles continue to be lit and prayers everyday for all three of you. Congratulations

Love Aunti Patti and crew

Sherrie Feffer-Thoman said...

Welcome Miss Georgia! What a little fighter! Jenn, I am over the moon that she's doing so well. Feisty? Bring it on little one!

Prayers and positive thoughts are numerous!

I love my little niece and wish I could see her sooner than i'll be able to. Her cousin should arrive in approx 5.5 weeks (assuming she hasn't figured out that Miss Georgia got out and feel the need to join her). When we do make it down to MD (i assume July sometime), it's going to be the best visit ever. We'll meet each other's daughters and these two little miracles can begin plotting how they are going to keep us on our toes for many years to come!

Get some rest you! Get that Blizzard, you've earned it!!

Love,
Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jenn and Nick!! Welcome to Georgia Grace!! Harper says "Hi, littlest cousin!" Praying for all of you...especially Georgia and her upcoming surgery. Babies are precious and I'm so glad you have gotten bonding time. Love, Becky, Bill, Andrew, Erika, Harper, Jeff, and Elise

Anonymous said...

PS I think her hair might be a little red!! Aunt Becky